December 6 + 13 + 20, 2022
+ 3 x 3h group sessions
+ 1 x individual consulting
Imagining the future is crucial to navigate the present strategically, and being able to shape abstract visions into compelling images makes communicating them easier. Design Fiction addresses these two aspects by questioning common myths and paradigms, acting out new situations, and revealing desirable and adverse effects of possible changes. It creates ideas for speculative artefacts, stories, or immersive experiences that make visions of the future vivid, engaging, and easy to communicate both internally and towards the general public.
The Future Fishing Training Program is designed for anyone interested in alternative future visions. Throughout three sessions, you will introduced to some theory, and have the opportunity to try your hand at speculative mini-projects. The goal is to learn and understand the whys and hows of building, representing, and telling futures through speculative design. To that end, you will be exposed to well-known futuring methods and tools (weak signal analysis, future wheels, backcasting, personas, etc) as well as some specific to the practice of N O R M A L S.
Knowing how to create, design, and tell futures can be valuable for:
- creating a strategic vision for the long-term;
- decoupling your vision from trending topics;
- revealing hidden paths for social and technological innovation;
- building future visions to approach innovation critically;
- communicating your vision through engaging images;
- shaping and communicating alternative futures.
The methods taught and tried during this class may help with:
- thinking and communicating complex ideas in simple visuals;
- inferring complex implications from simple phenomena;
- imagining and confronting different perspectives;
- ideating outside of one’s comfort zone.